DIY SEO: It Can’t be That Hard, Right?
SEO is not hard, but nobody said it was easy, either.
Doing great SEO means doing an orchestrated set of tasks, which are layered on top of each other to build a firm foundation and tiered endorsement of a web page.
Simply put, SEO takes layers of efforts to build solid results.
If done correctly, SEO can make your business a bunch of money for “free”, if done incorrectly it can mean failure and penalization of your online business.
Search engines will penalize a website for trying to trick them. One example of trying to trick a search engine is being spammy with keywords. Say a plumbing company wants their website to appear when people search “plumbing Edmonton.” They go overboard by using the term (or “keyword”) “plumbing Edmonton” throughout their website in a way that isn’t natural, here’s an example: “We are your premier source for everything plumbing Edmonton. Plumbing Edmonton is our main focus. Think of us when you need plumbing Edmonton.”
If it doesn’t look or sound natural to you, it won’t look right to search engines either. Search engines have software algorithms to detect spammy tactics like this. There’s no use in trying to use tricks with SEO. You have to focus on quality content, best practices, and technical knowledge.
Ready to start SEO?
If SEO seems like something you want to do yourself, then dive into the world of SEO! Below are dozens and dozens of resources that can help you.
If this sounds like something you’d rather leave to the experts, Nyche Marketing is here to do it for you. We have the knowledge, skills, and marketing professionals to boost your online presence and get your phone ringing!
Want to Learn SEO? Check out these Easy Guides!
I know, the heading above is a bit tongue and cheek, but it’s true. If you’re ready and willing to learn SEO and you have a knack for learning new things, these guides and videos are easy to read or watch… but comprehending them and putting them into practice is the hard part.
That said, these resources will teach you what you need to know to shore up your website and tune it as SEO is the foundation of a Living Website (a website engine that works for your company day and night).
Here is a comprehensive list of guides from gurus around the web broken up into the 7-steps that we follow here at Nyche Marketing:
Overview of Online Marketing – How does SEO fit in? What is SEO?
- The Beginners Guide to Online Marketing –
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing –
- A Beginner’s Guide to Internet Marketing –
- Internet Marketing – The Essential Step-by-Step Guide –
- Internet Marketing: A Small Business Guide –
- The Noob Guide to Online Marketing –
- Quick Essential Guide to Internet Marketing –
- Online Marketing Performance – The Ultimate Guide –
- The Noob Guide to Online Marketing (With Giant Infographic) –
- The Ultimate Guide to Startup Marketing –
- Search Engine Optimization – SEO Tutorial – Bruce Clay
- The Complete Guide to Blog SEO – Webris
Foundation of SEO – Keyword Research
- Chapter 5 – Keyword Research – Moz
- Keyword Research: The Definitive Guide –
- The Ultimate Guide to Keyword Competition: Tips from 35 Experts on Competitive Keyword Analysis –
- This 19 Step Keyword Research Process will SKYROCKET your Organic Search Traffic – Ahefs
- How to Do Keyword Research for SEO: A Beginner’s Guide – Hubspot
- How to Use “Topical Research” for Explosive SEO Growth – Webris
- 61 Experts Reveal Best Tools For Keyword Research – Robbie Richards
Off Page SEO – Getting other websites to vouch for yours
Technical SEO – The way to tune your website ‘engine’ for maximum efficiency
- The Beginner’s Guide to Technical SEO – QuickSprout
- Technical SEO – Moz
- Techincal SEO Tips – Bruce Clay
- Discover What is Technical SEO: The Complete (and Simple) Guide – Positionly
- Technical SEO checklist: 7 essential tips to implement now – Search Engine Land
- Step-by-Step “Technical SEO” Checklist – Webris
- The Beginner’s Guide to Technical SEO: 7 Resources You Should Use – Hubspot
Local SEO – when you want to dominate the search engines in your city
- Local SEO: The Definitive Guide – Pick A Web
- Local Search Ranking Factors – David Mihm
- Local SEO Consultants for Enterprise – Local SEO Guide
- Local SEO – Moz
- Local SEO | #1 Strategy Guide Resource for Business 2017 – The Site Edge
- Local SEO Checklist / Tool –
- Local SEO blog posts – Whitespark
- 30 Common Local SEO Problems & How To Fix Them – Synup
Content Marketing is the new ongoing SEO
- How to Create a Winning Content Promotion Plan –
- A Data-Driven Guide to Creating Viral Content –
- The Definitive Guide to B2C Content Marketing –
- How to Create Great Content That Drives Traffic –
- Content Marketing Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide for Modern Marketers –
- 21 Content Marketing Tactics That’ll Skyrocket Your Search Traffic –
- The Advanced Content Marketing Guide –
- The Definitive Guide to Engaging Content Marketing –
- The Beginner’s Guide To Content Marketing –
- Creating Content That Converts: The Step-by-Step Guide –
- The Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing –
- Content Marketing Guide –
- Content marketing: the complete online guide –
- Content Marketing –
- The Complete Guide to Building Your Blog Audience –
- The Blogger’s Guide to Online Marketing –
- How to Create a Successful Blog Strategy : A Step-by-Step Guide –
- 16 Top Tips from Blogging Experts for Beginners –
- Don’t Cringe: Here Are 12 Blog Editing Strategies to Make Every Word Powerful –
- Comprehensive Guide to Writing a Blog Post –
- The Most Comprehensive Guide on How to Blog –
- How to Create Human-Centered Content That Ranks High in Google –
- Transform Your Blog Posts: 6 Open-Ended Questions That’ll Help You Create Better Content –
- A Guide on How To Create a Guide That’ll Drive You 361,494 Visitors –
- Corporate Blogging Guide: Strategy & Tips –
- Download the Blog Post Checklist –
The Ever-Changing SEO Trade
SEO has been around for over 20 years according to SEO expert Bruce Clay. You can see the timeline of search engine history and SEO studies here.
Over the years, SEO has developed into a professional trade. According to job site Indeed, the average salary of an SEO and marketing role is more than $70K a year! People intern, study and test Search Engine Optimization best practices. Just like a plumber specializes in plumbing, SEO experts specialize in website optimization.
And just like plumbing or renovating or cabinetry or any other contracting role, SEO takes a lot of education, skill, and experience to master.
What sets the SEO trade apart from most other trades is that SEO is constantly changing. For example, a plumber can fix your toilet one day and it will probably be OK for the next week or month or year. With a website, it can be perfectly optimized one day, but then a week later, the algorithms for search engines change completely and your website will no longer be optimized for it.
Your toilet doesn’t do that. Once it’s fixed, it’s fixed. Search engines, on the other hand, are always changing. What worked yesterday may not work today.
What if you had someone on your side who was continuously learning, improving, and keeping up to date with the changes Google, Bing, and Yahoo make?
Do It Yourself or Ask the Experts?
Could you do SEO yourself?
Yes, you can learn to do SEO yourself. Once you dive into the articles above, subscribe to newsletters for new changes, dedicate time to testing and retesting your efforts, and gain an understanding for SEO, you could do it yourself.
But most business owners simply don’t have the time or drive to master the nuances of the SEO trade. It’s tempting to want to do it yourself, just like it can be tempting to fix your own toilet after watching some videos on YouTube, but is that the best use of your time? Will you do a great job without the years of experience a plumber has? Probably not.
If you’re ready to start doing SEO, the resources in this article are a great place to start. Gain an understanding, put expert methodology into practice and test, test, test. Good SEO takes time, keeping up-to-date, and lots of trial and error.
There’s no doubt that SEO is foundational in getting your website to show up in search results. Here are some statistics to back that up:
- 160+ billion monthly Google searches
- 51% of searches are longer than 4 words (i.e. long tail keywords)
- 57% of B2B marketers say SEO has the biggest impact on lead generation.
- 75% of marketers say SEO is content creation and the highest ranking content is about 1,200 words
- Marketers see SEO as becoming more effective, with 82% reporting effectiveness is on the rise and 42% of this group stating effectiveness is increasing significantly.
- Organic search (SEO) leads convert higher than social and outbound leads
Are there SEO practices that have worked for you? Let us know in the comments below. Also, please share this article with anyone you know who may want to get a better understanding of the SEO trade and its practices!